Monday, October 4, 2010

Things my students say...

I love singing songs in my pre-K phonics class.  This is what happened today after we finished our workbook pages:

Me:  Ok, I'm going to try to find us a long "i" song.  (turning on computer)
Class:  Yay! Long "i"!!! 
Me:  I'm going to TRY.  I'm not sure that I'll be able to find one.
Vitus:  Teacher you don't have to try.  You're a GOOD teacher.
Me:  Aww thank you, Vitus!

With all of the pressure from the parents, bosses, or myself, it is easy to feel stressed.  I need to remember that the kids are the ones that count and obviously I'm making a positive impact on them.  And on a related note:

Me:  (computer turned on typing in google.com)
Dennis:  (raising hand)
Me:  Yes, Dennis?
Dennis:  Teacher, yesterday I google.
Me:  (astonished) Oh really Dennis??
Dennis:  Yes. (smiles enormously)

Oh goodness...I know that I am addicted to Google.  I use it as a verb for Pete's sake.  When I had an iPhone, I would look up anything and everything on the spot.  Whenever someone asks me a question, my reply is "I don't know, but did you try Google?"  I seriously can't remember what I did before it came around.  Now, my impressionable pre-K students are using it too.  I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Pictures of the two little guys:



Vitus from Scorpio class.  No, this is not how he dresses everyday!  This outfit is traditional Korean dress or hanbok.  He was wearing this for Chuseok.  Vitus likes playing soccer and baseball, and is also fiercely competitive.



Dennis from Scorpio class (on "hospital play" day)  One of the best things about Dennis is his cheesy grin, but he rarely shows his teeth in pictures.  He is very smart and wants to be a dentist when he grows up!


PS-  Hooked on Phonics has some awesome fun songs that you can find on youtube.com (via google.com of course!)  Here is Scorpio classes's favorite song.  I put motions to all of the lyrics so we get to dance along:



The "Big Pig Song" is great for reinforcing the short "i" sound.



A teacher affects eternity:  he can never tell where his influence stops.  ~Henry Adams



3 comments:

  1. cute kids.
    love the pig song.

    - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is great! Honestly it's quite amusing and informational. You're cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I love the big pig song, too. I'm thinking about posting a video of the kids dancing to it.

    Rebecca, thanks for reading! Considering how well-read and intellectual you are, I greatly appreciate the compliment.

    ReplyDelete